Seattle Sountrack# 2

�What a Difference a Day Makes�

24 little hours brought the sun and the flowers where there used to be rain.

Most big cities wake up on Monday morning with a clatter of sirens, delivery, trucks and clamor. Seattle came alive in a much subtler way. A light wind blew the last of the fog away as commuters quietly headed to work just as the sun began to shine. There is none of the taxi honking brashness of New York, or even the determined frivolity of San Francisco. Seattle seems to get up, grasp a cup of coffee and go. As the city came to life, I went up to take the monorail into the heart of the city. Guess what? The thing doesn�t run until 11 am, stops at 7 pm, guess they are on Boise transit time. Took a wander around the deserted Space Center area and then headed down to Pikes Market.

The market assaults all of your senses. The iridescent rainbows from thefish scales are matched by the wide variety of gifts, carvings, and produce. I love this market, so vibrant and fun. Fish fly past as the languages of the world fill the air. Tourists and local mix in a commercial frenzy. Hunger drove me to the back of the market to the Southview Cafe. Perched on an overhang over The Sound, the cafe was quiet but the staff greeted me with a smile. The coffee was naturally good, (free refills) and my simple breakfast of an omelette and bagel hit the spot. It is often the most unpretentious meals that satisfy the most. This is especially true when the restaurant has such a fantastic view. In the morning the commercial side of the �Port of Seattle� governs the waves. Tugs push barges in and out and cargo containers rolled slowly past. Not a cruise ship or fancy yacht in sight. We needed to be out of the condo by 11 am, so I hiked down to the George Benson Waterfront Streetcar Line Metro, Route 99, to the end of the line station at water front pier # 70. Just a quick up hill walk to �home.�

Back at Don�s new place we found that on those few clear days, he will have a view. Got restless after we moved a couple of things around, drove into China Town, shopped, cooked a meal and than napped. The Day family idea of a perfect afternoon.

The news never sleeps, so Don works a night shift at Northwest Cable News and it was back into the city. Found a parking space and took in downtown. It is sad to think that the next time I will see the Bon, it will be a Macys. Swung into Nordstroms and looked around. Found a bookstore and stocked up. The hipster at the counter said that Pioneer Square was the place to find live music so I walked up to the Pioneer Square Saloon. Unfortunately it wasn�t a saloon at all but a Pub!

The Orleans had Dixieland music and a wonderful historic decor. With the music, pleasant unpretentious servers, walls cluttered with blues and jazz posters, you know it felt like home. Had a couple, had some dinner and headed back to get the kid from his job.

The next night I was back on the sound for natures show and chowder. Sunsets always impress. Watching the fading light shift the horizon from blue to red and orange, and ever so slowly back to blue and black. This night in Seattle proved to be one of the best ever. At a public pier below the freeway and the business district, a small crowd joined me. The big ferries chugged past

bringing the last of the commuters home and the sun set.

Hungry and worn out I found a true northwest style fish chowder at Steamers on the Aquirium peir and went back to the barn early.

The trip almost over, Don took me up to Sea-Tac. The twin stadiums looking so much better than the old King Doom on the way out. Like most of the country's airports, Sea-Tac is being remodeled. However it was easy boarding and soon I was was flying home. Like an old beer commercial, Mt. Rainier flew under our wings. This picture window should be in a Southwest ad. It was great to get out of town and help the son out. I�m looking forward to getting back soon to see, taste and hear, more of Seattle.